IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Caltech strongly encourages parents and students, who are eligible, to do IRS Data Retrieval as it facilitates our processing of financial aid applications. As you are filling out the FAFSA, you will be asked about both the parents' and student's tax information. During this section, you will have the opportunity to transfer your 2017 tax information from the IRS onto your FAFSA.
After you indicate that you have already filed your 2015 tax return:
- Answer the three additional questions in the box mentioning the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Click the "View option to link to the IRS" link if it is available.
- Fill out your personal information on the IRS website to load your tax data.
- Click "Transfer Now".
- Do not make any changes to the transferred data. Questions that have been transferred will be marked "Transferred from the IRS." We cannot process any FAFSA that indicates that transferred data was changed prior to submission.
- Continue filling out the FAFSA, and be sure to submit your FAFSA.
If you are having trouble accessing the Data Retrieval Tool, your taxes may not have been processed by the IRS yet. Use the table below to help determine when the Data Retrieval Tool may become available to you.
IRS Data Retrieval Tutorial Video (Courtesy of UCSB)
You will not be able to use the Data Retrieval Tool if you:
- Are a victim of identity theft
- Have filed an amended tax return
- Are a resident of certain US territories and freely associated states.
If any of the above apply to you, click here for instructions on alternative documentation.